Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween








Every year I swear I will not spend any money on stupid Halloween costumes or spend any time making them. I tell the kids to just pick something out that we already have. But every year the kids somehow end up convincing me to make them their costumes. First, I tell them that I will only consider it if Walmart has some cheap fabric on sale. Unfortunately, Walmart always does and I get roped into making another costume. This year Valorie wanted to be an Avatar. How in the world do my make an Avatar costume? Well, we ended up finding some blue fabric at Walmart that was only $5 for the whole bolt. How can your pass that up. It was enough to make 3 costumes with. I ended up making an Avatar costume for Valorie's best friend also. The outfit wasn't too hard. I had been afraid of it being too tight and revealing, but I think it turned out ok. Valorie added some great accessories to it and our wonderful neighbor gave her some fake hair that we sewed into a wig. She won 3rd place in the costume contest at Timanogos High School.

Christopher wanted to be Aladdin. His costume was simple, except for his hat. I ran out of the material that I was using for his costume, so the hat was pretty lame. He also really wanted to dress Katie up as a monkey to carry around with him as Ahboo, But I am not that ingenious. He wore the shirt under the vest for school but not for Halloween night. Yes, he froze with out it on but, "No brain, No Pain".

Jenny just went with Valorie's old Lord of the Rings Elf costume, but I think looked very beautiful in it. She was thrilled to be able to wear make up for a day.

Katie decided to be a witch like her mother. She was so cute.

There are 2 costumes that work for me really well, my witch costume and the nerd costume that I wore last year. They both fit my personality soooo well!! This year---WITCH!!!

We were really worried when it started pouring outside that Halloween was going to be ruined, but the rain stopped long enough for us to light the fire in our fire pit and served our usual rootbeer, hot chocolate, and roasted marshmallows to all the trick or treaters. We all had a great night and a little too much candy. Now I can start listening to Christmas music.

5 comments:

  1. lucky you... we have to wait til the day after Thanksgiving. Mark has very strong feelings about keeping things in a specific time frame for holidays so whatcha gonna do. Not a fight I want to take up. I have my ipod so if I want to listen I can..... :)

    and.... very cute costumes. I was absolutely amazed at Valories outfit. the wig was awesome because I saw all that hair when you got it and couldn't believe you turned it into that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, I don't set out decorations or other things until after Thanksgiving but I insist on being able to listen to Christmas music after Halloween. I know that sounds early but that is the only time I get to listen to it. After Thanksgiving life gets insane and I don't have time to listen to my own thoughts let alone music, so I insist on taking time after Halloween to enjoy the season. I believe that the spirit of Christmas music puts me in a very thankful Thanksgiving spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved all the costumes. My kids think they are getting too old for costumes. Zac and Reilly could not decide, so they did not really dress up. I can't find the time to put any together, and I don't sew. They still had fun. Valories costume was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Donna! You're amazing!! That avatar costume was phenomenal. I used to beg my mom to make my halloween costumes too. Poor woman. And jackets for my prom dresses. (They don't made dresses w/ sleeves in Ohio.) Poor, poor woman. :) At least you probably won't have to do that! Just don't move anywhere east of Colorado! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Valorie's costume!!! Holy Cow! You all look fabulous!

    And I am definitely going to remember to trick-or-treat on your street next year! :)

    ReplyDelete