Friday, September 10, 2010

Victory is Sweet!



We put Chris in tackle football this year for the first time and have really been enjoying it. At first I complained about the expense because football is not a cheep sport but he has been begging to do it for years. We have been working on his Sport merit badge in scouting and the last requirement was to participate in 1 season of some type of sport. So we figured that it was time to finally give in and pay the money to put him in a sport. I complained at the initial expense and then every day he would come home and say he needed one more thing. The cost just kept adding up. I was very frustrated. Then he started his practices and found out that all the games were going to be on Wednesday nights. So he would be missing scouts every week for the next couple of months. I keep telling myself that it was ok because he would still be working on his scouting merit badge. He started practices almost every day and basically football took over our lives. At first it was very frustrating. But then I decided that I wanted to attend all of his practices. So I went almost every day and sat in the park for 2 hours. It was very relaxing--which in my life, is unheard of. After a week of this I decided that all the money spend was totally worth it just to have some relaxing time to myself.
Football is a very aggressive sport and Chris has gotten the bruises and injuries to prove it. I was a little nervous about this after his first practice when he almost tore his fingernail off and I asked him if he was really up for this. His reply was, "Heck ya!!! Finally I have someone to beat up on. I only have sisters at home."
After 2 weeks of grueling practice, Chris had his first game last Wednesday. He was so excited for it, but unfortunately they were clobbered. 40 to 0. I felt so bad. I though for sure that he was going to be crushed. But when he got into the car to go home I asked him if he had fun and his reply was, "This was the best day of my life!!!" I was totally surprised because he had just been clobbered and asked how it could have been the best day of his life. He replied, "I played in a real football game. I don't care who won. It was a real game and I was playing in it." Wow! I guess the money we spent to put him in this was definitely worth it.
After defeat comes the victory. This Wednesday they had their second game and I was hoping so bad for at least one tough down. I didn't care if they won or not but I though it would be really nice for him to at least be able to feel the thrill of one touch down. Well they did. 4 of them. And the game ended with Chris catching an interception. It was a very exciting game for him. The ending score was 26 to 0. The other team never scored at all and I was kind of feeling sorry for them. I almost wanted to tell the team to let up a little so that the other team could at least make 1 touchdown. But I guess that is not what life is about. Life is never fair. And I must admit that victory is sweet!!! Way to go Chris!

2 comments:

  1. sounds like it was money well spent. He is really enjoying it and I love his attitude about winning and losing. He's just happy to be there. Having participated in little league the last few years with Jacob I have seen firsthand how the boys just want to play and have a good time. sometimes the parents get out of hand and get too competitive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute story! I love how you wrote this. I dread the day we have expensive teenage things take over our lives, but at the same time- look forward to that new chapter in life.

    You guys are such great parents! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete